Sadly truck accidents are a common occurrence on the highways and roads of Indiana. When they occur, the consequences can be severe. Property can be destroyed, and people can be left with injuries they will suffer from for the rest of their lives, such as chronic disabilities. Such accidents also result in lawsuits that may end up taking a long time to settle.
The causes of trucking accidents
There are many reasons why truck accidents may happen. The cause of such accidents may be important when it comes to filing a lawsuit. This includes:
- Driver fatigue
- The driver paying attention to distractions
- Poor hiring practices of the trucking company
- Poor maintenance of the truck
- Badly loaded or stored cargo
- Speeding and aggressive driving
Of these listed, either the driver or the trucking company is at fault. If this is proven in a court room, damages may end up being awarded to the other drivers or pedestrians involved in the accident. In certain cases, the trucking company may end up settling.
The length of trucking lawsuits
If you are wondering about the timeline of a possible trucking lawsuit, it really depends on factors like:
- Whether or not fault and negligence can be proven in the accident
- Whether or not the trucker was employed by a trucking company
- The severity of the damage and injuries incurred
- The willingness of the trucker or company to cooperate with the legal process
- The willingness of the defendants to settle
The biggest determining factor of how long a lawsuit will go on for is the willingness of the other side to settle. In certain cases, a large trucking company may want to settle quickly to avoid things like negative publicity and the discovery phase of the lawsuit. If a settlement is not reached, the lawsuit wills stretch out for many months and possibly over a year. In the worst cases, lawsuits can drag out for years. Due to the expense of court battles and the other negative aspects, such as publicity, both sides may have a good incentive to settle if the evidence in the case is clear.
Overall, you should expect a very lengthy process. While the process may be shorter if the other side settles, that may not be the case. When that happens, the legal process will take a very long time.